The Green Machine has adapted this delicious and super simple porridge recipe, originally by skating tomato. Made in a matter of minutes, this oatmeal delivers a good dose of complex carbohydrates and healthy fats, naturally sweetened by the banana, which also gives the porridge a wonderfully creamy texture.
For optimum nutritional benefits, use the following where possible:
- Organic ingredients
- Activated nuts
- Milks with no added sugar, unpasteurised if available
- Jumbo oats instead of instant. Jumbo oats are less processed and will keep you feeling fuller for longer
- Use gluten-free oats if you are coeliac or suffer from wheat intolerance
Time: 10 Minutes (without soaking the oats. As an option for an even creamier version, put the oats and coconut milk in a bowl in the fridge, leaving to soak overnight.)
- 50g Oats
- 1/2 Medium banana (approx 7″ long), chopped (freeze the other half and add to smoothies)
- 1 tbsp/10g Walnuts or pecans
- 220ml Dairy-free milk. Try almond, hemp, oat or homemade coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp Chia Seeds (Optional)
Mix the oats, milk, cinnamon powder and 1/4 of the chopped banana in a saucepan on a low-medium heat.
Simmer for 8 minutes, stirring every minute or so.
When the mixture thickens, remove from heat and put into a bowl to serve.
Stir well before topping with the nuts, chia seeds and the other 1/4 of the banana.